Archives

A combination of things I can't be bothered telling everyone in person, and things I want to tell everyone whether they want to hear it or not.

Name:
Location: Perth, Western Australia, Australia

I don't use this blog any more, have a look at my lj and dreamwidth: http://alias-sqbr.livejournal.com http://sqbr.dreamwidth.org

Friday, May 20, 2005

Friends, randoms, countrymen...

In case anyone is going to the red cross thing: I'm probably not :( As I psychically predicted, I did not fulfill my expectation of lots of happy shiny Phd work today, or even very much minor doing-the-dishes type work. Instead I lay in bed on a carefully positioned pad of pillows, a hot water bottle and heat pad thinking very little beyond "Ow. Stupid body". I don't think I'm sick, its just my joints and throaght deciding they wish to punish me for some real or imagined transgression, *grumble*

Ok, enough grumbling. Since I'm very bored (My brain is slowly waking up, and feel like a break from "Diplomatic immunity") you get a vague attempt at something I've been pondering for a while. Recently I've seen a couple of things which have made me think about the nature of friends lists and blogs etc. I'm too sleepy for a real exploration of the ideas I've been pondering, but would like to say

  • My friends list in theory consists of the people who's ljs I enjoy reading the moment they update. However I came to a point of not having room for any more, so some people I would have added if it had occured to me earlier are off. Also I read a great many other blogs/ljs (either every day or whenever I feel curious/bored enough), especially now I have Tiger and Safaris RSS feature.
  • This blog is specifically designed to be read by anyone who knows me(*), as well as anyone else who happens to come across it. I write every post imagining my parents etc watching over my shoulder. Absolutely anyone is welcome to read it and comment, as long as its not with any sort of malicious intent(**) and you try to respect the fact this is my "property" so to speak.
  • I have trouble really getting my head around blogs/ljs that aren't written in this way(***) (except ones with a specific purpose like Lizs Fangirls Only lj :)) So I apologise if I breach any nettiquette by reading and commenting on other peoples. If you specifically tell me not to I'll go away, though I may suffer Deep Emotional Pain at the rejection.
Um. Yeah. I think thats it. Oh, and the lj feed is acting funny. Thanks to Pooky, in one of the rare instances where commenting on the feed (rather than the blog) is not a Very Bad Thing.

(*)Although if my supervisors saw it they might have a few words to say about effective use of my time :) And sometimes I fail in my design and say something tactless
(**)Since theres no portion of my life where malicious intent is welcome :)
(***)I mean I can understand say slagging someone off on the assumtption they won't read it, and if someone did that I wouldn't point said person in the slaggings direction unless I felt it was really warranted. I might stick up for them though.

3 Comments:

Blogger Asphodel said...

three things:
1. get well soon! Hope to see you there tomorrow if you're well enough. Will also remind you that Pax is on night shift and will thus be going home to sleep after a bit, legitimising your desire to nap :)
2. PhD creation is influencing you're writing style. You've started attaching foot notes to your blog posts.
3. Do you realise that foot note three makes no sense unless you read it aloud? I worked it out eventually. *grin*

12:23 am  
Blogger Sophie said...

My Phd has a total of one footnote so far, and it was my supervisors idea :P I got them off Pratchett, if anything :)

Now the lists, they're from my thesis.

And I said I wasn't feeling well! Stop criticising my style! *sulks*

9:58 am  
Blogger Sophie said...

Dave, you are aware I allow anonymous posting, right?

Still, I feel all special :)

2:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home