Archives

A combination of things I can't be bothered telling everyone in person, and things I want to tell everyone whether they want to hear it or not.

Name:
Location: Perth, Western Australia, Australia

I don't use this blog any more, have a look at my lj and dreamwidth: http://alias-sqbr.livejournal.com http://sqbr.dreamwidth.org

Friday, September 02, 2005

Help with my homework

Guh. Feeling very stupid today so I'm doing all the things on my to-do list that don't require thinking. Anyway, I would be very grateful if people could give me a non-maths perspective on my Open Day poster- careful, it's pretty big and the colours are wierd since it's designed to be printed, not seen on a screen.

Cam understands it, but he does have 2/3 of a maths degree, and I'd like it to be understandable to at least the brighter highschool students. If you don't undertstand it TELL ME, it's not because you're stupid it's because this is my first attempt at explaining my thesis to anyone who isn't a group theorist. I'm especially after feedback from people who did some maths in year 12 but haven't done any "real" maths at uni since that seems like the closest I'm going to get to highschool level. But anyone's opinion is good.

If you spot any typographic errors etc that would be cool too :) Note that the light green only looks weird because of my kludge to make the green letters visible, its ok on the actual poster. And yes, I used powerpoint, I tried doing it with Latex and it was All Bad.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's by far the best big-wall-poster I've seen around uwa :) Sophie makes learning fun!

I understood it fully, and everything I know about group theory I learnt in a spa.

- Furry

11:23 am  
Blogger Vel'ithya said...

Hey Sophie, the stuff on the left looked pretty clear and easy to understand, the stuff on the right was harder, but that is almost certainly because I haven't done proper maths for about 3 years. Also, the pictures of you actually look like you! Brilliant.

-Jen

12:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a really cool poster! I love the pictures. The first one is so you!

As far as reading it through, I found the last sentence in "The sporadic simple groups" slightly convoluted (ie. I had to read it more than once).

"And yes, I used powerpoint, I tried doing it with Latex and it was All Bad."

Evil Sophie! Every time someone uses powerpoint a kitten spontaneously combusts!


Mg

2:27 pm  
Blogger Asphodel said...

They drawings are great, I kinda get the dragon familiy, but have no clue about the maths at all. But then, I haven't done maths since high school and that was discrete. What do I know? *grin* I'm the last person you want in your class.

Maybe you can find someone who actually did calc... Sorry I wasn't more help. Pretty numbers though.

3:12 pm  
Blogger Sophie said...

Thankyou all! There's going to everyone from bored younger siblings to other postgrads looking at this thing, so I'm glad I got a wide-ish perspective :)

Mg-will look into making sentence clearer.

8:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home