Archives

A combination of things I can't be bothered telling everyone in person, and things I want to tell everyone whether they want to hear it or not.

Name:
Location: Perth, Western Australia, Australia

I don't use this blog any more, have a look at my lj and dreamwidth: http://alias-sqbr.livejournal.com http://sqbr.dreamwidth.org

Monday, June 20, 2005

Cheating with chemicals

WARNING: Pure, unadulterated geekery ahead. Chemistry geekery at that.

gelignite came over and infected me with the need to work out how to model the diamond "lattice" using one of those magnetic stick and ball sets. (All Peter Hills fault, apparently) Anwyay, today I did a little angularly-correct model using blu-tack and toothpicks and realised I was clearly completely off since it's impossible to make anything with rotational symettry containing rhomboids, despite my memory of the shape of the lattice. So I looked it up, and made this model (see here for a different angle)

I did warn you.

Also, my paper has been accepted for publication, yay!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That does look pretty close to being right, although the angles on the base are a little off (probably nothing that can be done about that while keeping it stable)

Oliver

6:17 pm  
Blogger Sophie said...

I had to prop them up as it is.

Heh. I knew I could rely on you not to be scared off by my warning :)

8:24 am  
Blogger Asphodel said...

paper accepted! YAY!

9:27 am  
Blogger Sophie said...

*realises she should admire Asphodel for her willingness to keep reading despite the nasty, nasty chemistry*

5:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home