Archives

A combination of things I can't be bothered telling everyone in person, and things I want to tell everyone whether they want to hear it or not.

Name:
Location: Perth, Western Australia, Australia

I don't use this blog any more, have a look at my lj and dreamwidth: http://alias-sqbr.livejournal.com http://sqbr.dreamwidth.org

Thursday, October 27, 2005

My teeny little thoughts all lined up in a row

At a party last weekend I bumped into haute_kitten, my first ever friend from highschool who I haven't seen since like 1998. (partly because she moved to England, where she lives in a co-op and is training to make corsets, because she's just that cool :) ) Anyway, after looking at her lj I had a look at my blog, thinking about how it would look to someone who doesn't know me-as-I-am-now very well and came to the conclusion that I have been influenced by spending so much time around teenagers and use a smidgeon too many smileys.(*) The fact that I care about what my smiley-usage stats say about me got me contemplating the way I put a lot of effort into not being an unsuccessful try-hard and what that says about me, and all in all I got so self-concious about what I do and why I couldn't post anything!(**)

So..*cough* for no especially deep or significant reason, another list of things.

  • Still not depressed (oh noes!), but the fact I'm letting myself do all the stuff I avoided during my phd becuase it made me sleepy (chocolate, late nights etc) is making me, suprise surprise, sleepy.
  • "Y the last man" is a brilliant graphic novel you should all read. I nearly recomended it to my mum and then remembered what happened the last time she read something of mine where someone dies horribly in the first scene. Anyway, the first issue is online so..go!
  • Garden state is a pretty good movie.
  • I love the new Pride and Predjudice becuase it is a thing of beauty. Well, in terms of actual physical prettiness and swooniness of leads the BBC version wins hands down, but the movie makes it feel like they're actually real people instead of pretty Romantic Archetypes.
  • I have given up on Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrel. However I did read "Peace" by Gene Wolfe, which is absolutely nothing like the book I remember reading in highschool. I wonder what book it was, I know it was from the W section and had a tree on the cover. Oh well.
  • My loyalties are somewhat divided between White Dwarf Books and Fantastic Planet. On the one hand Tim was friends with Cam in highschool (and gave me a free romance novel to give Cam's mum), on the other hand I've known Stephen much longer and he's written some pretty funky books. Also he doesn't swap "horrible child abuse stories from when I was in ER" with Mandragora :) Of course it's not like I spend any money on new books anyway.
(*)The footnotes, italics and brackets are juuuust right.
(**)Also I've been kind of sleepy, see the first entry on the list :) ....oh no! A smiley! I lose at the internet!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y - The Last Man is awesome. I've got the first 3 trade paperbacks and every following issue (so, the whole lot, yeah :P).

How much of it have you read?

9:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hardly on-topic, but I suspect you'll love http://www.bathsheba.com/sculpt/

James

1:51 am  
Blogger Sophie said...

There was a topic?

I do indeed think those sculptures are a wonderful thing. Truly you are the lord of the links! (Unless this is a different James, in which case you're just cool :) )

8:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home