Archives

A combination of things I can't be bothered telling everyone in person, and things I want to tell everyone whether they want to hear it or not.

Name:
Location: Perth, Western Australia, Australia

I don't use this blog any more, have a look at my lj and dreamwidth: http://alias-sqbr.livejournal.com http://sqbr.dreamwidth.org

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Squeezing out sentences like..stuff...from a ..thing

The last week or so it's felt like I keep saying Exactly The Wrong Thing, and I am reminded why I used to be terribly terribly shy. Oh well.

Ok, according to Cam a reasonable number of people have now reserved/bought stuff on the registry without hassle (as far as we can see). I realise it could come accross that I want everyone to buy me Muchos Gifts or I'll get all offended and think you don't like me, when really I just wanted beta testers and was getting all paranoid that it was All Going To Go wrong. I get really paranoid about parties, it's the main reason I don't do them very often. Anway, noone should feel obliged to get me anything big (or anything at all) if they weren't going to naturally. Also the reason there's So Many Gifts is that I'm using it as a general repository for things I want, including christmas or just to buy for myself at some point. *is probably being unneccesarily paranoid in the opposite direction but never mind*

Saw "Batman: Mask of the Phantasm" yesterday, which was pretty good for a spin-off from an animated tv show but I'm not sure if I agree with the people who think it's the Best Batman Movie Ever. Also I've given up on "Game of Thrones", I think I should avoid long fantasy for a while it doesn't seem to be my genre at the moment. It is very good for what it is, but what it is is fairly run-of-the-mill politics-and-epic-family-history in a moderately interesting but not extraspecially original fantasy setting. The fact that all the characters are fairly well drawn and 3 dimensional, rather than the usual mildly characterised hero plus cardboard cutouts, is certainly a plus. And there was no point where I went "Oh come on that's just STUPID/cliched etc" On the other hand after a few chapters I got a feel for the rhythym and general direction of the various storylines so there was no surpise or interest. That and the way he keeps killing/maiming the main characters meant I didn't let myself get too attached :) Still, I reccomend it to anyone who likes fantasy unless they only like the super-happy light stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home