Archives

A combination of things I can't be bothered telling everyone in person, and things I want to tell everyone whether they want to hear it or not.

Name:
Location: Perth, Western Australia, Australia

I don't use this blog any more, have a look at my lj and dreamwidth: http://alias-sqbr.livejournal.com http://sqbr.dreamwidth.org

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

To clear my good name

I'm going to be a leader at the Siemens science school this summer and need to choose a scientist to be the name of my group. I'm thinking Newton (well known, easy to pronounce, did important maths) but am a little paranoid there's some much cooler name I'm not thinking of, can anyone think of one? The other group names are:
  • Carson
  • Darwin
  • Dr Karl (pfft)
  • Einstein
  • Franklin
  • Hawking
  • Mendel
EDIT: We're doing all sorts of science, I just chose a mathematitian out of loyalty to my calling :)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is your group going to be focussing on a particular subject area? (Just because Newton would be a good name for a group of physics students, but not so good for a group of geneticists.)

5:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Newton is a little boring, sure people know some stuff about him, but I would think it better to go for someone a little more interesting.

Some ideas would include:

Liebnitz
Fermat
Gauss

Or my personal choice:

Turing

6:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leibniz (better notation system, most of the time)

6:25 pm  
Blogger Sophie said...

Yes! Turing!

Thankyou anonymous, whoever you are...

6:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was me, you should have asked me for advice last night :)

Oliver

6:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just as an additional comment, I think you should encourage at least one session during the camp where each group tells the others of a major scientific achievement by their group's namesake.

That way you can all make fun of the Dr Karl group.

Dr Carl (pfft)

10:53 pm  
Blogger Asphodel said...

I would have gone with Leonardo da Quirm, but I guess he's not a real scientist.

6:37 pm  
Blogger Sophie said...

I can also mention that Darwin and Einstein got with their cousins :)

Phlebas: I think UWA should take back your BSc, you arts student. Fictional scientists indeed... :)

4:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home