Archives

A combination of things I can't be bothered telling everyone in person, and things I want to tell everyone whether they want to hear it or not.

Name:
Location: Perth, Western Australia, Australia

I don't use this blog any more, have a look at my lj and dreamwidth: http://alias-sqbr.livejournal.com http://sqbr.dreamwidth.org

Saturday, January 21, 2006

A link and some blargle

I have made a website compiling information on wedding stuff, for anyone who's interested. I haven't put everything on there yet, but I can feel the enthusiasm for the project is temporarily drained so I may as well post it now.

With any job, I have two priorites. First, do it well. Second, don't look like an unproffesional idiot. With the Siemens science school, I managed the first ok, but failed miserably on the second. Oh well, at least the kids went home happy and educated.

And now, it's time for some... I need a word for "longwinded babbling about only marginally interesting bits of my life". Like many people I do it a fair bit and it would be nice to go "God! Enough with the blargle!" or "blargle under the cut" and people would know what you meant. Assuming I could work out Blogger cuts. Anyway.

Recently I decided to rejoin the Brights forum. I left about a year ago, partly becuase I was using it to procrastinate on my Phd, and partly becuase I felt rather conflicted. I joined to be able to explore my opinions on religion, philosophy, ethics etc with lots of different people with whom I could assume the starting position that there's no God(*). Which is exactly what I got, but only in between lots of the sort of stupid crap that goes along with a religious discussion forum on the interent. And by gum atheists can be smug. Also the forum theoretically exists to help organise pro-Bright causes and I eventually realised that I feel about Bright-rights the same way I do about womens rights(**): Yes, they're a worthwhile cause, but there are others that feel more important/neccesary to me personally, like the environment. But then I was invited to be a facilitator (like a moderator, but more so. Or something) which I felt would be an educational experience which it was. Also really frustrating, with the trolls and the idiots and the fact I'm not naturally suited to being a Figure of Authority. Still, in amongst it all were some cool people (mostly the other facilitators :)) and interesting conversations. But it wasn't enough, and I left, saying I'd come back when I was done Phding. Which I did (but resigned as facilitator) and... I don't know. Still, I've friended some of the cooler facilitators, and apparently they all left around the same time as me and are also pondering if it's worth the pain.

Also, if you think the Brights are kind of wierd and up themselves, well, maybe a little bit. But they are nothing to the Universists.

(*)No offense to all the religious people with whom I've had discussions, they're great too, but I wanted to get into the real nitty gritty of my views on the nature of the universe etc, and interfaith conversations tend to be rather vague and universal.
(**)Only more so. Much more so.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sophie said...

Profmoriarty (who's one of the cool facilitators and so gets off with a warning since he's new) said:

Smug sums it up, dunnit ^_^. I'm always intrigued how the most active people in terms of caring about the forum are also the most moderate, and also the ones with least to gain from the Brights themselves. I find that rather weird in some ways.

And I say: Exactly :)

7:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeek - this is the Feed I mustn't post in is it? I didn't realise.

Mori

8:52 am  
Blogger Sophie said...

No, no, this is the blog where you ARE supposed to comment :) sqbr at livejournal is just an rss feed of this blog, and the entries and comments are only kept short term.

9:02 am  
Blogger Sophie said...

Micahel says:
I can't remember if I mentioned it before, but Linda spent quite a lot of time in the eBridal forums when preparing for our wedding.

And I say: I've been reading the Wedding WA ones, the ebridal interface confuses me :)

5:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home